Position Title: Packaging & Automation Engineer
Location: New Jersey
Position ID: 5882
This company is a well established and respected wide web, custom coater and laminator of flexible substrates that has been around for more than 60 Years. They pride themselves on being a unique adhesive partner for the aerospace, optical, graphic arts, industrial, medical devices and automotive industries. They also develop and provide innovative converting and packaging solutions for their partners.
My client is looking for a Packaging Automation Engineer to help grow some major projects on the slitting, sheeting, printing/stamping, (polyethylene film) bagging & shrink wrap, and finishing lines. The company wants to build, buy or acquire automation lines for high speed packaging for custom made products. They need someone with strong knowledge and experience in high speed packaging automation.
The role offers a base salary commensurate with experience (100-125k base or more for the right fit), a discretionary annual bonus, and excellent standard benefits.
They are seeking a self-directed, hands-on Packaging & Manufacturing Engineer who will assist in developing, implementing and improving existing manufacturing processes. The candidate selected will provide engineering support to new product and process introductions, manage projects and provide support to both internal and external customers. Below is the full description.
Packaging & Manufacturing Engineer:
The primary responsibility of the Packaging & Manufacturing Engineer is to deploy new Packaging technologies and improve the efficiency, safety, and quality of the Packaging designs and the Packaging, Coating, and Converting equipment, materials, and process in the Production Department. The Packaging & Manufacturing Engineer’s primary focus will be working with Packaging team on new and existing products while using their experience and capabilities to drive continuous improvement, troubleshoot problems, and implement new controls and technologies throughout the manufacturing organization.
- Serve as an effective team member in assessing and improving current packaging operations, implementing and introducing new technologies, and providing recommendations for retrofits and new equipment
- Work with Packaging operations and suppliers to troubleshoot packaging issues, maintain packaging quality, and optimize packing line efficiencies
- Develop and improve procedures and instructions to minimize packing line setup and changeover time/cost.
- Demonstrate strong troubleshooting skills through the use of continuous improvement techniques
- Show thorough understanding of the interactions between machine, materials, methods, environment, and people to provide robust operating systems
- Develop/maintain material balances and unit operation capability information to ensure optimal production rates, parameters, and formula
- Provide key technical support in capital projects and new product and packaging material testing/start-ups
- Minimize packaging material scrap, product scrap and product giveaway
- Ensures safety aspects of the equipment meets specifications and requirements to assure employees’ safe working conditions
- Conduct capacity studies, enhance system reliability, and identify/implement productivity improvements including new technologies
- Serve as a technical liaison for all levels of the company including production/maintenance employees, plant technical and management resources, corporate engineering and R&D organizations
- Develop/deliver technical training for various levels of the organization and serve as a resource in cross-functional platform/technology/product teams
- Develop project budgets, schedules, and prepare project justification and develop capital requests as needed, including monthly forecast project spending plan
- Provide packaging operations with technical equipment expertise, standard procedures for operation, change-over and maintenance of packaging equipment, selection of new packaging equipment, equipment improvement, upgrades and documentation, operator and maintenance training and support
- Oversee the packaging reliability program
Work Experience Requirements
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in Packaging improvement projects and working with packaging lines design and install
- Previous job experience in high-speed packaging
- A demonstrated ability to select and apply sound engineering practices and principles to the design and development of high-volume consumer products packaging
- Strong background and proven results in Leading Continuous Improvement efforts through the application of Lean Manufacturing Activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a concentration in Packaging Science, Mechanical, Electrical, or related engineering field from an accredited university
Essential Capabilities (knowledge, Skills, Abilities And Personal Attributes)
- Recognized technical abilities and practical experience with strong capabilities in the following areas:
- Theory/functionality of manufacturing systems and unit operations;
- Continuous improvement;
- Controls and electrical aptitude;
- Statistics and analytical methods;
- Process measurement and control;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to understand and apply general engineering principles
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with overlapping tasks and work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems, develops solutions, and quickly implements their strategy
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve any outstanding issues
- Proficient skills specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and AutoCad or SolidWorks are required
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization
Their company offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(K) plan, life insurance, health savings account and paid time off.
This is an immediate need, as my client is moving quickly. If you are interested, please email a copy of your updated resume and salary requirements or contact Angelo Giallombardo at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (440) 772-1015.