Position Title: Gm / Operations manager
Location: Richmond, VA
Position ID: 5830
We are a leading provider of polymer enhancement and finishing services. We view ourselves as an extension of your business, whether through incremental capabilities, additional capacity or supporting critical R&D effort. Helping our customers create value is always our top priority, and we provide a level of quality and service that meets or exceeds those that you have for your own business.
The Operations Manager is a critical role. This person is responsible for ensuring our operations run in an efficient and effective manner while overseeing all operations employees. He/she is also responsible for ensuring we continue to maintain and strengthen our continuous improvement culture. You will have complete operational and P&L responsibility. You will provide senior-level leadership and direction, coordinating with other managers to ensure sales are maximized and costs are controlled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Site management
- Manages all personnel at the plants
- Serves as day to day lead for the site operations and primary point of contact for the President on operations
- Complete operational P&L responsibility
- Manages shift leads and coordinates scheduling of all personnel
- Supports development of all personnel, including leadership development of shift leads
- Ensure overall delivery and quality of the unit’s offerings to customers
- Report key results to corporate officers
- Evaluate and decide upon key investments in equipment, infrastructure, and talent
- Engage with corporate officers in broader organizational strategic planning
- Participates in long range strategy development of the company for operations
- Leads execution of operations and is responsible for the plant hitting operational goals on productivity and performance
- Conducts analyses and reviews metrics to track operational progress and independently develop actions to improve performance
- Leads the development and implementation of operational procedures across all vessels and services
- Has working knowledge of all operations at the plant, including Heated Process vessels and Material Handling processes
- Supports personnel in trouble shooting of issues related to all operations at the plant
- Proactively solves issues independently and implements preventative measures as necessary
- Works with Safety & Quality manager to develop training materials and train personnel
- Ensures all personnel have the skill sets necessary to conduct their jobs and follow operational procedures
- Continuous improvement
- Leads continuous improvement efforts for the site, including documentation and tracking of Daily Management metrics
- Leads efforts to identify and implement corrective actions
- Leads efforts to identify new opportunities for improvement
- Independently develops productivity agenda and leads efforts to achieve productivity metrics needed to achieve company goals
- Establish and manages KPI
Fosters a culture in the operations group focused on team collaboration, achievement of results, and continuous improvement
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Asks for help when needed. Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities. Seeks increased responsibilities. Takes independent actions and calculated risks. Undertakes self-development activities. Volunteers readily.
Competent in required job skills and knowledge. Displays understanding of how job relates to others. Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills. Keeps abreast of current developments. Requires minimal supervision. Uses resources effectively.
Displays willingness to make decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Includes appropriate people in decision-making process. Makes timely decisions. Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
Applies feedback to improve performance. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Displays commitment to excellence. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Achieves established goals. Completes work in timely manner. Meets productivity standards. Strives to increase production. Works quickly.
Exhibits confidence in self and others. Inspires respect and trust. Motivates others to perform well. Reacts well under pressure. Shows courage to take action.
Develops alternative solutions. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Identifies problems in a timely manner. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
Safety & Security:
Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines. Observes safety and security procedures. Reports potentially unsafe conditions. Uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ideally 5-10 years’ experience in a manufacturing facility, with 2-5 years’ experience in a leadership role
- Experience leading continuous improvement initiatives and building a continuous improvement culture
- College degree
Read, analyze and interpret business, professional, technical or governmental documents. Write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, customers and the public.
Work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Apply logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Deal with nonverbal symbolism (e.g., formulas and equations) in difficult phases. Deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to independently use computer for Microsoft NAV, word processing, spreadsheets, email and other functions. Ability to utilize computer programs to create spreadsheets to track data and perform calculations of moderate complexity.
Responsible for supervising all personnel on site. Responsible for the leadership and development of these individuals and ensuring the operations is effective and efficient.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of a manufacturing job. This role requires ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, safety shoes) at all times in the production area. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees must wear hardhats and safety shoes at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This role requires standing for extended periods of time, ability to lift 50lbs, identify colors and work in open air & outdoor areas. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call directly (440) 772-1015.