position title: outside sales representative
location: East Coast, Virginia to Florida
position id: 5995
This company, headquartered in Columbia, IL (in the St. Louis, MO metropolitan area), is a privately held and female owned. Their primary focus is specialty converting of adhesive coated tapes and foams. The company remains on the leading edge of adhesive tape converting technology; currently utilizing 60+ cutting, slitting, laminating, printing and spooling machines to convert materials into labor saving customized parts.
Responsible for generating business to business sales with industrial manufacturers and distributors in the coastal southeast US territory that includes portions of states spanning from Virginia to Florida. Home office preferred. Identify, initiate, cultivate, and close new business, while working to maintain and increase business with existing customers. 80% of time is spent in front of customers, with approximately 30 – 40% overnight stays.
- Visit establishments and keep in contact with customers on a regular basis initiating, cultivating, maintaining and closing new business in designated territory. Prepare sales presentations and proposals that explain product specifications and applications. Emphasize product features based on analyses of customer’s needs, and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
- Work in conjunction with purchasing, marketing, estimation, credit, accounts payable, production & shipping to ensure that the customer’s business is handled accurately.
- Request & create quotes for customers’ requests though the company computer software. Work with estimation by providing feedback to help select the correct products or assist customers in making product selections, based on the customers’ needs, product specifications, and applications.
- Work closely with assigned Estimator, Account Manager, and Business Development Representative regarding customer business, new opportunities, follow ups on quotes and orders, managing business as a team. Serve as the responsible team member to cultivate and close business. Support all team members, covering for each other as needed to help take care of the customer.
- Provide customers with ongoing technical support. Recommend ways for customers to alter product usage in order to improve production.
- Document and log all customer contact in the company computer software for tracking purposes, maintaining customer records.
- Work closely with key vendors to establish relationships, to develop leads, and to develop new accounts.
- Stock and distribute resources such as samples and promotional and educational materials.
- Follow up on leads acquired by the company. Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Complete expense reports, target account spreadsheet, sales reports, and other paperwork.
- Perform duties safely and maintain high level of safety awareness.
- Communicate sales ideas and accomplishments to the VP of Sales and Marketing. Assist in the development of long-term sales strategies & helps implement the plan(s) developed.
- Assist in the training of new salesmen.
- Alert Customer Service Manager to conditions that create delays or affect quality of production work in a timely manner, assisting in adjustments and changes needed to meet established deadlines.
- Follow operation standards and all department policies and company directives and assists with other projects and tasks as required by management.
Excellent interpersonal and communications skills required. Good organizational and problem solving skills a must. Should have a working competency with all office equipment. Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office software required. Good mathematical aptitude and problem solving skills required.
Conduct business in a professional, positive and courteous manner. Listen effectively, respond clearly, write legible and read a variety of written instructions. Work cooperatively with a variety of individuals. Adapt to interruptions, changes, emergencies, repetition and pressure without losing effectiveness and composure. Quickly grasp new concepts, approaches or systems. Employ resourcefulness when problem solving to meet customer needs.
High School diploma or equivalent required; a bachelor’s degree is preferred. Course work related to general business, sales or industry specific topics desired.
3 plus years of customer service and/or sales experience at another company in a comparable position preferred. Knowledge of pressure sensitive tape industry is ideal.
All candidates must have a valid driver’s license plus have a clean driving record with no serious traffic offenses. Proof of auto insurance is required.
Base Salary + Commission, fully paid expenses and a comprehensive benefit program including paid vacation, holidays, $25,000 of life insurance and short term and long-term disability benefit. We also offer medical (premiums paid 100% by the company for the basic plan), dental & vision insurance and a 401K and Roth 401K retirement plans with a company match of 25% of the 1st 6% the employee contributes.
Equal Opportunity Employer
THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK PERFORMED BY PEOPLE ASSIGNED TO THIS CLASSIFICATION. THEY ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL JOB DUTIES PERFORMED BY THE PERSONNEL SO CLASSIFIED.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested, please send your updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call directly at 440-681-2625.