Position Title: Purchasing and inventory manager
location: St. Louis, Missouri
position id: 5933
We are headquartered in the St. Louis, MO metropolitan area and we are a privately held corporation. Our primary focus is specialty converting of adhesive coated tapes and foams. We remain on the leading edge of adhesive tape converting technology; currently utilizing over 50 cutting, slitting, laminating, printing and spooling machines to convert materials into labor saving customized parts.
SUPERVISES: Inventory Control Clerk, Purchasing Coordinators & Receiving Staff
POSITION PURPOSE: Manages all purchasing, receiving and inventory activities and establishes strategic purchasing, receiving & inventory control processes and procedures. Maintains relationships with vendors or suppliers and negotiates lead times and delivery dates when necessary to help meet our customer’s needs. Responsible for keeping our material and inventory costs down, by negotiating with vendors, reducing dead inventory and managing pricing in our computer system. Provide support and assistance to the purchasing & receiving department employees in all phases of development and implementation including collecting, analyzing and preparing all necessary information to verify cost and receipt of materials.
QUANTITATIVE DATA: Corporate office environment that will require the ability to sit/stand for a prolonged period of time, including as a driver or passenger in an automobile/plane. Must be willing to travel to vendor, customer or other warehouse locations up to an estimated 10% of the time based on demand of the business. Must be able to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc., Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer. This position requires frequent communication with customers, vendors and other employees; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Interviewing, selecting and training new purchasing and receiving department employees.
- Assist in setting and adjusting employee’s rate of pay and hours of work. Appraising the productivity and efficiency for the purpose of recommending promotions or other changes employee’s status. Conducts employee performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Appropriating the purchasing & receiving work among the workers, directing their work and determining the techniques to be used, working with them on difficult vendors & high priority customers, handling their complaints & grievances and disciplining when necessary.
- Establish regular measurable goals to assess employee’s efficiency and output.
- Creates and runs reports for management review when necessary.
- Develops an in-depth understanding of all systems and software related to purchasing, receiving & inventory. Research, develop & implement new and innovative improvement for the team.
- Negotiate with vendors on price increases and rebates. Work with the estimation department & sales teams to compile best price schedules for top customers. Develop and administer pricing spreadsheets. Create mailings to customers for price increase notices, while supplying documentation of notices. Communicating with the estimation department and/or sales team on accounts as necessary.
- Create and maintain vendor/supplier scorecards by compiling data and conducting surveys. Conduct once a year vendor evaluation with top vendors; meeting with vendors to review their performance.
- Maintain the clean-up of items in the computer system. Supervise inventory of all products and ensure reconciliation of ERP system to actual product counts. Assist in the cleanup of dead inventory by entering CFRs into the computer program when necessary.
- Work in conjunction with sales, estimation, account managers, accounts payable, production & shipping to ensure that the customer’s business is handled accurately. Work with the VP of Finance and Operations to qualify/process projects.
- Assist when needed, in determining the type of materials, supplies, machinery or tools to be bought for the company, based on the customer requests and inquiries.
- Perform duties safely and maintain high level of safety awareness. Provide for the safety of the workers and the property.
- Supervise all RoHS, NAFTA and other exporting /importing documentation.
For further details watch the following video:
- Develop long-term purchasing strategies & implement the plans developed. Communicate purchasing & receiving ideas and accomplishments to the management team.
- Alert management to conditions that create delays or affect quality of production work in a timely manner, assisting in adjustments and changes needed to meet established deadlines.
- Ensures compliance with operation standards and all department policies and company directives and assist with other projects and tasks as required by management.
Skills: Management and leadership skills required. Good organizational and problem-solving skills a must. Should have a working competency with all office equipment. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Excellent verbal & written communication and customer service skills required. Excellent time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree preferred. Course work related to general business, estimation, purchasing, inventory or industry specific topics desired.
Ability: A thorough understanding of the functions and issues of managing a purchasing department. Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate. Must also have an understanding of how to optimize the relationships of the vendors. Work cooperatively with a variety of individuals. Employ resourcefulness when problem solving to meet customer needs.
Experience: 5+ years of purchasing/operations experience preferred.
Shift Hours: 8:00am – 4:30pm M-F
BENEFITS: We offer a full benefit package including paid vacation, holidays, $25,000 of life insurance and short term and long-term disability benefit. We also offer medical (premiums paid 100% by our company for the basic plan), dental & vision insurance and a 401K retirement plan with a company match of 25% of the 1st 6% the employee contributes.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit via our candidates page.