Job Title: Technical Manager
Location: Dayton, OH
Position ID: 5891
They are a diversified North American manufacturer of functional coatings, pressure sensitive adhesives, custom release liners, and converted parts. With Headquarters in Chicago, IL, their Specialty Materials consists of 5 manufacturing companies and has manufacturing sites in IL, MA, MN, and OH with advance warehouses in CA and Canada. They focus on high-value end markets that require unique solutions, rapid turnaround, and demonstrated needs for quality manufacture and ongoing innovation including, but not limited to, POP/Retail, Flexible Packaging, Specialty Industrial, E-commerce Packaging, Appliance, and Decorative/DIY.
Their company delivers value to our customers through our integrated turnkey capabilities, rapid turnaround, and innovative and custom product designs.
Our Specialty Films and Labels is focused on high-value, custom functional coatings, materials, and label solutions for a broad group of customers in Flexible Packaging, Automotive, Construction, Heavy Industrial, Medical, and Graphics markets.
This job description outlines the responsibilities and expectations of a Technical Manager for their Films and Specialty Labels business.
- Meet – and then exceed – revenue and profitability targets.
- Oversee and execute Development support of Specialty Films and Labels NPD pipeline, with the ability to deliver at least 10+ launches per annum.
- Provide leadership in formulation development, materials design, process optimization, and testing that aligns with Specialty Film and Labels site capabilities and strategic initiatives.
- Manage and develop the technical team, including establishing clear development plans and training tracks.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales, and the Customer to identify key product opportunities, appropriately prioritize initiatives, and align messaging.
- Collaborate with relevant functions to ensure efficient product development and optimization.
- Provide technical leadership in support of cost-savings initiatives including, but not limited to, alternate material identification, insource/outsource decisions, and formulation enhancements for increased throughput and efficiencies.
- Provide timely reporting, including KPI performance.
- Proactively identify and implement best practices that accelerate growth within the function; enhancing NPD and Project Management processes and establishing improved IP protection practices.
- Engage in and support direct communication efforts with Customers and Suppliers that advance revenue generation and profitability opportunities.
- Establish and comply with the annual operating and capital budgets for the function and lab assets.
- Lead and deliver Integration efforts as defined by the Technical Director.
- Ensure that the entire team works in a safe and compliant manner.
- Results driven
- Demonstrated results in formulation development, product launch, and material qualifications
- Able to focus and prioritize individual and team activities
- Curious, learning-driven – enjoys leveraging new knowledge to enhance current chemistries, constructions, and products
- Experience in assessing, developing, and growing a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong reasoning and analytical ability
- Comfortable navigating changing priorities
- Ability to assess and develop best-in-class processes for efficient product development and launch, IP protection, and technically-based due diligence assessments
- Effective in engaging and motivating both direct and cross-functional colleagues
- Outstanding personal integrity and ethics
- Understands and easily connects products, technologies, and capabilities across a diverse portfolio of customers and markets
- Demonstrated ability to work across different systems and adapt to new processes
- Comfortable constructively leading through stressful situations and management of change
- Enjoys working with a diverse group of individuals internally and externally
- Solid understanding of general business concepts
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- BS in a Technical field; preferably Chemistry, Polymer Science, or Chemical Engineering
- MA in related field highly desired
- 7+ years of technical experience in PSA and other technical coatings for web-based processes
- 5+ years of technical team management experience
- Track record of developing and commercializing new products on time and within budget.
- Experience with the use of new product development methodologies including project management, stage-gate, ideation, Design of Experiments (DOE), and IP management, literature and patent research
- Detailed knowledge of additives, formulation processing, applications, and analytical test methods
- Experience in web handling highly preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products with advanced experience in Excel and analytics programs (e.g. Minitab, JMP, etc.)
Watch the following video for further details:
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to email@example.com or call him directly at (440) 772-1015.